GREENVILLE, SC.......We went contacted about a young two-year-old Lab and Great Pyrenees Mix that had been picked up by Animal Control.  The A/C Officers had been called out on a Field Call to check out a dog that had been severely neglected.  When the officers arrived, they found Flossie with old infected wounds and a broken radius and ulna.   Her leg was swollen three times its normal size.


To avoid being charged with Animal Cruelty, the Owner had to sign over his dog.   He also had to sign over another dog that looks just like Flossie only is a male named Freddie.  They both appear to be around two years old, so we are assuming they are Brother and Sister.   Freddie is healthy, but Flossie is critical, which is why they were both taken in.


We agreed to take the Flossie since she needed immediate medical care or would die.  Greenville County could do primary medical care but could not do significant surgery or amputate a leg.  Arrangments were made to pick up Flossie.  After talking to the Rescue Coordinator, they were concerned with the welfare of both dogs if they were separated.  After much deliberation, I decided to do what was best for both dogs and took them both. Flossie was too sick not to take her, and Freddie just wanted to protect his Sister.


When both dogs arrived at CVRC in Charleston, we were going to pick up Freddie and bring to the Rehab Facility since he checked out fine.  Dr. Ellison asked us to please leave him since Flossie was heartbroken when he was not around, and she was too sick to have the stress.  All I cared about was saving Flossie's Life.   The injuries to her leg were deep and old.


When the ICU Team looked at the x-ray of Flossie's leg, her bone looks moth-eaten. Given the extent of the infection, this likely means osteomyelitis, which is infection down into the bone. It seems like almost her entire bone is affected. I wanted to save Flossie's leg if possible, so she was started on antibiotics and pain meds.  


For one week, the ICU Team worked to clear the infection and get Flossie stable for surgery.  Unfortunately, the bone of the leg was not improving, and every day that went by, the chances of her becoming septic became a real possibility.  As much as I wanted to save Flossie's leg by doing surgery to plate the bones together, it was no longer a possibility.   


I had to decide to save Flossie's Life by amputating the leg.  The other issue was Flossie had just had puppies and had an infected uterus.  She was still lactating, so we had to get a Fertility Specialist involved to see if we could spay her or did she have to be on hormones first. I was glad to have Freddie there to console poor Flossie, who was petrified by the hospital.


Flossie was finally cleared for surgery to amputate the leg and to do her spay surgery as long as she was stable during the two procedures.  Luckily, the week we had Flossie in the hospital had done her good, and she was stable during both procedures.  Flossie is doing well in recovery, and Freddie is in a kennel next to her to make sure she is safe.


I do not have a clue what happened to Flossie.  It looks like a coyote attacked her or another large animal.    Freddie does not have any injuries we could find. He must not have been around at the time because I am sure he would have protected her at all costs.


Both of these dogs are beautiful and sweet.  We will get to know more about their personality once they are out of the hospital.  In the meantime, we have to pay their extensive medical and rehab bills.  Please Donate whatever you can for these two unfortunate pups.

March 06, 2020 by Jennifer Smith